Photos: Kristi Bissell
Easy to make and too tempting to pass up!
With no mixer required, this delicious Scandinavian Almond Cake can be made in less than an hour.
This Scandinavian Almond Cake is the essence of simplicity, perfect for a busy day when there is little time for baking, but the idea of a homemade slice of cake to go with your afternoon cup of coffee is just too tempting to pass up.
You can mix this cake in 10 minutes and bake it in about 40. This means moist almond-flavored cake on your table, ready to enjoy in just under an hour.
No mixer required! Let’s get started, shall we?
This is wonderful cake recipe to have in your baking repertoire because:
- It comes together in a flash and calls for simple pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- The cake is tender, moist, and contains just the right amount of almond extract.
- It’s delicious on its own or with a dusting of powdered sugar, but you can also dress it up a little and serve it with fresh berries and whipped cream alongside.
- As I mentioned above, you probably have all of these items on hand already!
You will need a Scandinavian Almond Cake pan (essentially a long, shallow ribbed loaf pan) for this recipe. They are available from Scandinavian specialty stores.
There are a few tricks for ensuring almond cake success every time:
- As stated in the recipe, it is extremely important to thoroughly grease and flour the pan or use a nonstick baking spray. This cake is likely to stick to the pan otherwise, especially if the surface of the pan is not nonstick.
- Let the cake sit for just 10 minutes in the pan before turning it over onto a serving plate. This will help it release more cleanly.
Whipped cream and fresh berries are a perfect complement to Scandinavian Almond Cake, served best with a fresh cup of coffee.
Can I use another type of pan in place of the almond cake pan?
You can use a regular 9 x 5 loaf pan, but you will need to add a few extra minutes to the baking time. It will be a little thicker than the almond cake pan version and need a little extra time to bake through.
Can I make it dairy-free?
Yes, feel free to substitute a non-dairy milk for regular milk.
How should I top this cake for serving?
A light dusting of powdered sugar is all you really need, but if you would like to drizzle the cake with a simple glaze, whisk together ¾ cup powdered sugar, 1½-2 tbsps. milk and ½ tsp. vanilla extract. Drizzle over the cake and sprinkle with a handful of toasted sliced almonds if desired.
What should I serve alongside this Scandinavian Almond Cake?
A simple cup of coffee will do just fine, but if you want to fancy things up, whipped cream and fresh berries make a perfect accompaniment to this delicious cake.
SCANDINAVIAN ALMOND CAKE
Servings: 12 slices
- Scandinavian Almond Cake pan
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsps. pure almond extract
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
- powdered sugar for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour the cake pan or spray with nonstick baking spray. Place prepared pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, almond extract, and milk. Add flour mixture and whisk until mixed well. Add butter and mix until fully combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place cookie sheet with pan on top into the oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cake rest in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving tray. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve.
by Kristi Bissell
Taste of Norway Editor
The Norwegian American
Do you have a favorite Nordic-flavored cake recipe that you would like to share with the readers of The Norwegian American? Send it to Kristi at email@example.com.