Bison Drive Hours and Information
The Bison Drive Road is open Thursday-Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. The road is closed every Wednesday for maintenance. Please be sure to exit the bison range before the posted closing times.
Periodic Closure (typically in late winter, early spring)
To ensure stable road conditions, seasonal closures may occur due to rapidly melting snow throughout the freeze/thaw cycle, which results in poor and unsafe road conditions. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will alert of such closures on the Minneopa State Park State webpage.
Bison Viewing Tips
- The bison are free to roam 331 acres, so they may be difficult to spot at times. Keep a watchful eye as you drive through the range and take advantage of the Seppmann Mill overlook to help spot them.
- Remain inside your vehicle at all times while within the bison range.
- Bison can be dangerous animals, especially when calves are present. Always give bison clearance of at least 75 feet.
- Pets must be kept on a leash at all times.
- Respect the bison fence, do not climb or pull on fence wires.
- Bison get nervous around loud noises or lots of activity, keep your voices down and movements to a minimum to help keep the bison within easy viewing.
- Hiking is not allowed inside the range, but there are hiking trails all the way around the outside of the range.
For more information on The Minnesota Bison Conversation Herd Go>
For more information on the bison at Minneopa Go>
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date with what’s going on in Mankato. Go>