As Minnesota’s Stay Safe pause continues through January 11th, all in-person tour operations will be suspended temporarily. Instead, you can see the mansion virtually with a guide of your choice! There are three different guided virtual tours to chose from. Each tour with a different focus and virtual guide.
VIRTUAL GUIDED TOURS (NEW!)
Purchase Guided VIrtual Tour: Here
- Virtual Christmas Tour with Jane
- See the Christmas trees, hidden elves, and the mansion decorated for Christmas virtually. Hear Congdon Christmas stories as Jane, Glensheen’s Official Holiday Ambassador guides you through the most famous rooms of the mansion.
- In-Depth Virtual Tour with Milissa
- Have you ever wanted to see what’s inside all of the cabinets and drawers in Glensheen? Well, this is your chance! Explore the nooks, crannies, drawers, cabinets, SECRET COMPARTMENTS, and behind the scenes stories with Glensheen’s Collections Manager, Milissa Brooks-Ojibway.
- Exclusive Virtual Tour with Director Dan
- Description coming soon!
SELF-GUIDED 360º VIRTUAL TOUR
In line with the MuseumFromHome movement and many museums across the globe, Glensheen is finding innovative ways to bring the century-old historic home to you on your couch.
In partnership with Explore Minnesota, Visit Duluth, and Alleycat Photography, Glensheen launched a 360º virtual tour experience that is available free of charge.
Virtual tour guests can experience their favorite rooms on the main floor like the famous Breakfast Room, explore the summery-green grounds, and see the second floor. Yes, this means you could make the favorite, “Green Room” or Breakfast Room, your virtual office backdrop – making it feel like your home office while basking in the sunshine among the floor to ceiling green tiles.
START YOUR SELF-GUIDED 360º GLENSHEEN EXPERIENCE
Here are the best ways to experience the 360º Virtual Tour:
- Choose your Virtual Tour Enhancement – Virtual Treasure Book or Glensheen App
- Download & open the Glensheen app on your smartphone (available in the Apple App Store and Google Play)
- Or print the Virtual Treasure Book
- Open the 360º virtual tour on a laptop or desktop
- Use the Virtual Treasure Book as an eye-spy game or the Glensheen app for audio snippets to enhance your experience as you virtually explore the mansion
VIRTUAL TREASURE BOOK
This new enhancement was designed after the success of the original in-person Treasure Book that was created in 2015 for guests on tour while exploring the mansion. This is an eye-spy game intended to be used within the Glensheen Virtual Tour. The Virtual Treasure Book makes a virtual tour experience way more fun than most other Virtual Tours… which can get boring pretty quickly. During the COVID-19 closure, the new Treasure Book is available as a free download to enhance the 360º virtual tour experience.
How do you use the Virtual Tour Treasure Book?
- Download the Virtual Tour Treasure Book –HERE
- Print it off (Be sure to select ‘fit to page’ in your print settings)
- Go to Glensheen’s Virtual Tour
- Use the Treasure Book as you guide yourself through the mansion
Glensheen Mansion launched the tour app through the museum app company, Encurate, in 2019 to enhance the self-guided tour experience. With maps and audio descriptions for nearly every room, the app is a complementary tool to not only the General Admission in-person experience but now also, the Glensheen 360º virtual tour. Feeling a little stir crazy? The app and Glensheen 360º also allows you to explore the grounds and 12-acre estate.
Glensheen at Home Hack: We suggest viewing the 360º virtual tour on a desktop or laptop while using the Glensheen app on a smartphone. With a little bit of manual work, you can connect what you’re seeing on your computer with the descriptions you’re hearing from the app on your phone.
The Glensheen app is a free and available for download by searching “GLENSHEEN” in the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Our mission is simple. It is to Celebrate Preservation.
An Authentic Experience in a world full of manufactured experiences, we have very few opportunities to fully immerse ourselves in authenticity. Glensheen offers one of those rare chances. Come see why Glensheen Mansion, perched on the shore of Lake Superior, is the most visited historic home in Minnesota. Our 12-acre estate features gardens, bridges, and the famous 39-room mansion built with remarkable 20th-century craftsmanship, telling the story of the Duluth region.